If you are passionate about defending your country from external and internal threats, then becoming a CIA Agent would be ideal for you.
Featured Programs and Schools
Take a look at this guide to learn more about the Top 10 Schools for CIA Agents. Studying at one of these schools will help you acquire the relevant training and knowledge that is needed to launch a successful career as a CIA Agent.
Top CIA Agent Schools in the U.S.
The U.S. News and World Report have reported that the following list of educational institutions offer the best specializations in Emergency Management and Homeland Security. As per US News, “students specializing in this field learn about issues related to intelligence, counterterrorism and emergency management. These are the top public affairs schools for a homeland security concentration.”
The following degrees can be used as a stepping stone in the process to becoming a CIA Agent. Completing them, however, does not guarantee selection in the CIA’s recruitment process.
1 – Arizona State University
The Arizona State University offers the following program:
- Masters of Arts (M.A) in Emergency Management – The 33-credit hour program offers concentration in Homeland Security. The curriculum covers topics related to Hazard Mitigation Planning, Terrorism and Weapons of Mass Destruction, Interoperability for Emergency Managers, US Cyber and Information Security Policy, and Cyber Terrorism. This program trains students to kick-start a successful career as a CIA Agent.
2 – George Mason University
The George Mason University offers the following program:
- Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.) in Criminology, Law & Society – This program offers a specialization in Homeland Security and Justice, which has been ranked by the U.S. News and World Report as the second best major. In order to graduate from the program, students are required to complete a total of 120 credits. They are exposed to a range of modules related to Theory and Politics of Terrorism, Counterintelligence, Law Enforcement and Homeland Security, and Introduction to the Intelligence Community.
3 – Naval Postgraduate College
The Naval Postgraduate College offers the following programs:
- Master of Arts (M.A) in Security Studies – This program can be completed within 18 months. The program trains students to develop the skills and expertise required to design plans, programs, and strategies to prevent terrorist attacks in the country. The curriculum is made up of the following modules: Strategic Planning and Budgeting for Homeland Security, The Unconventional Threat to Homeland Security, Technology for Homeland Security, Intelligence for Homeland Security and Comparative Government for Homeland Security.
4 – University of Maryland-College Park
The following program is being offered by the University of Maryland:
- Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.) in Homeland Security – This online program requires completion of 120 credits. The coursework includes topics related to Public Safety Leadership, Homeland Security and International Relations, Legal and Political Issues of Homeland Security, and Homeland Security Response to Critical Incidents. This program has been designed to instill students with leadership skills, interpersonal skills, a global outlook, and knowledge about current issues in international and domestic security.
5 – Columbia University
The Columbia University currently offers:
- Master of International Affairs (MIA) and a Master of Public Administration (MPA) – These programs are offered with a concentration in International Security Policy. They can be completed in around 21 months. The coursework exposes students to a range of modules such as Theories of International Politics, Theories of War and Peace, Terrorism and Counter Terrorism, Understanding Intelligence Operations, Cyber War and International Ethics.
6 – University of North Texas
The University of North Texas offers the following program:
- Master of Science (MS) in Emergency Management & Disaster Science – This degree teaches program participants how to build and improve societal and community resilience when it comes to disasters and threats. In order to obtain the degree, they have to complete 30 hours of coursework. Students are introduced to interesting topics ranging from Community Recovery and Resilience, Challenges of Disaster Response, Technological Hazards, Applied Statistics in Disaster Science, Emergency Management Theory and Practice, and Disaster Research Methods.
7 – CUNY John Jay College
The following degree is offered by the college:
- Master of Science (M.Sc.) in Security Management – The 2-year long program requires completion of 36 credits of coursework. The degree focuses on defense protocols, as well as homeland security. The curriculum includes a diverse range of topics such as Contemporary Issues in Security Management, Security of Information and Technology, Theory and Design of Security Systems, Risk, Threat and Critical Infrastructure, and Introduction to Protection Management Systems.
8 – University of Central Florida
The university offers the following specializations:
- Graduate Certificate in Emergency Management and Homeland Security – This program is best suited for professionals seeking to or working in careers related to homeland security and emergency management. The coursework focuses on managing emergencies, man-made threats and security crises, through the coordination of non-profit, private and public sectors. Students are required to complete 18 credit hours and study two elective courses and four core courses.
- The university also offers an Emergency Management and Homeland Security minor at the undergraduate level. In order to complete the minor requirements, students have to study courses like Disaster Response and Recovery, Hazard Mitigation and Preparedness, and Homeland Security and Criminal Justice.
9 – University of Southern California
The following program is being offered by University of Southern California:
- Certificate in Homeland Security and Public Policy – The rigorous program requires completion of 15 to 16 units of graduate course work. The course covers a range of modules such as Risk Analysis, Homeland Security and Public Policy, and Economics for Public Policy.
10 – Texas A&M University – College Station
The university offers the following program:
- Certificate in Homeland Security – This program is offered on-campus, online, or via a combination of formats. This is an ideal program for professionals who are already working in the fields of cyber security, law enforcement, emergency management, public safety, and homeland security. The modules are taught by internationally and nationally acclaimed faculty members, who bring expertise and unique experience to the class room.Students are given a choice to select from these specialization areas: National Security Policy and Management, Border Security, Critical Infrastructure Protection, and Emergency Management and Crisis Preparedness. The program’s curriculum is composed of a range of modules related to the U.S. Law and Homeland Security, Homeland Defense, Domestic Intelligence Operations, Protection of the Nation’s Critical Infrastructure, Research Methods for Homeland Security Studies and Homeland Security Policies, Strategies, and Operations.